The idea of creating an ethnographic museum in Plovdiv dates back to the end of 1891. After a quarter of a century, at the suggestion of Stoyu Shishkov – teacher, book writer, folklorist, ethnographer, historian and publisher – the local administration decided to create a District Ethnographic Museum. Its main purpose was the collection of materials related to the past and present of the Plovdiv region. The beginning was January 22, 1917, when a meeting was held in the District Palace (now Plovdiv Municipality), at which it was decided to “establish a regional museum run by a standing committee.” The museum regulations were approved on July 20th, of the same year and Yordan PopGeorgiev was appointed as the first director and Stoyu N. Shishkov as the museum secretary. The years that followed were devoted on collecting materials, producing photographic images and promoting activities. In 1930 there were over 500 artifacts in the museum. In 1931 – 1932, despite the well-grounded opposition of Stoyu Shishkov, the administration transferred this modest property to the Public Library and Museum, due to economic reasons. In 1938, following the initiative of the Mayor, Bozhidar Zdravkov, the Museum started its second existence at the Kuyumdzhieva House, the most impressive house in Plovdiv, and was appointed Municipal House Museum. The new house of the Museum was opened for visitors on October 14, 1943. In 1949, the Municipal House Museum was renamed to National Ethnographic Museum. In 1952, a permanent exhibition was introduced, which was renovated in 1962. Presently, over 60,000 artifacts are divided into the following six funds: Agriculture, Crafts, Textiles and Clothing, Furniture and Interior, Musical Instruments and Ritual Properties, and Fine Art. There are also Photography, Scientific Archives and Library Sections.